Thursday, October 23, 2008

Outside Reading 4

Dillow, Clay. "Movie Ratings: Running the Numbers". Fast Company 2008: 1-1.

I read an article about the changes in movie ratings. On November 1, 1968, people argued that movies were corrupting children, so the film industry created a voluntary rating system, according to appropriateness. Ratings have changed, but they still give kids the desire to sneak into R rated movies. It then gave me many stats on how many different rated movies people see a year, and how many are rated G, PG-13, R and what not. 
Looking at these stats I was so shocked about how naive society is to these raising problems of R and X movie exposure to teens. One stat proved that, "Teens with high exposure to R-rated films are seven times more likely to take up smoking than teens with low exposure to them" (Dillow 1). This freaks me out, that by just seeing one movie, that people are drawn into that type of life style that we see in those R movies. "In 2007, more than half the movies were rated R" (Dillow 1). This just shocks me at how I have seen R movies, just like it's no big deal, not knowing that maybe some day, it will end up effecting me when I have to make a  decision, and from seeing these movies, does that help me make the right one? This article proves that society is corrupting the youth with some of these inappropriate movies, that some people model their lives after. Let's stick with PG-13 movies!!! I know that some people may think R movies are more interesting because they don't cut anything out, and are relentless, but that is why society has problems like alcoholism and what not, because they see these party movies, and want to be just like those kids, but end up dead, or with a life time problem, because of what the media has shown them. So upsetting to find out that people are taking movie concepts the wrong ways, movies are meant for enjoyment and for things like in a fantasy world that can boost our imagination!  

3 comments:

Kyle W said...

Wow it is very suprising that half of the movies in 2007 were rated "R"! More suprising is the direct relationship between teens and watching R-rated movies in that they are more likely to make poor lifestyle choices. Good analysis and informational story keep up the good work!

Andrea L. said...

It was really interesting reading about what you wrote. I had no idea any of those stats existed, let alone that they could affect our lives so dramatically! Another thing I didn't know was how half of the movies are R rated. If we have less R rated movies, hopefully we will cut down on the number of smokers and alcoholics.

Emily Fu. said...

I think the fact that half of the movies of 2007 were R rated is interesting, but we have to remember that ratings aren't everything. As someone with very strict parents, I remember being 12 and waiting until I could watch PG13 movies. When I finally did (the first one I saw was Harry Potter 4, a month before my 13th birthday), I was really disappointed at how tame it was. I think it really depends on the individual people, not on the rating that the board gives it.