Monday, January 19, 2009

Reading Lolita in Tehran 6

It took a long time to finish the book, but in the end it was worth it. I didn't like it at the beginning, but towards the end, all of the lessons and things that affected her life really made me think about how much easier life is in America. It seems unfair that women in Iran have to go through life nervous that someone will arrest them because their fingernails are too long, or a couple of strands of hair are peeking out of their veil. It wasn't only the women that had a tough time, Azar went to a concert that was highly controlled by the Islamic Republic. "Only they weren't allowed to sing; they could only play their instruments. Nor could they demonstrate any enthusiasm for what they were doing: to show emotion would be un-Islamic" (300). Things like this frustrated Azar, and even me, in the fact that she lived in a completely controlled life. Nothing would be of value if everything is to be controlled like this. I would go crazy in a society like this. In the end, Azar leaves Iran with her family to find a better place in America. In the end she expressed more of her dislike towards Iran, thinking about some of the situations she was in would make her throw up. "I can't live like this anymore. Every time something like this happened, I, like many others, would think of leaving, of going to a place where everyday life was not such a battleground" (313). Once she leaves, most of her students in her secret class leave too. I found out that Nassrin actually didn't die, she just left before the class pretty much split up. Most of them still keep in touch today. I liked this book because it showed me how special of a bond some can make in the toughest of times. I recommend this book, although it starts off boring, it's worth it in the end.

3 comments:

Samantha said...

I'm glad this book ends well because by your description it seems very frustrating. I can't imagine having to live a life where everything was so controlled. Life would have no flavor! It's great that the girl and her family were able to move to a place where they were happier, not many families are that fortunate!

Spenser said...

I'm happy you liked the end of the book and it seems like a book I would like. I can't believe some people have to live that constricted of a lifestyle. The relocation of the girls family was good and I am happy that there was a happiness in the book. Good post!

Andrea L. said...

I think Azar made the right decision. She knew what she could handle, and Iran was just too much for her. I'm glad that they still stay in touch. It sounds like this book is worth reading!