Monday, November 24, 2008

Reading Lolita in Tehran 2

Reading farther into Reading Lolita in Tehran, I started to get a little bored. Nothing has happened! All that she has been talking about are the works of books that they study and how it pertains to her life. She is a very jumpy writer, and tends to go off on random subjects a lot. I do like the fact though, that even though her no nonsense talk is annoying, it helps develop characters and her voice as a writer. I have realized that to me this book is not as interesting because there is no main conflict. The only thing that would be considered as a conflict I presume is the role that the women have now in their country due to the invasion of other people. I hope more interesting stuff comes along.

One of my favorite parts of the book so far is when the class is still just getting started and it is still in the awkward stage. Azar Nafisi asks them to do an exercise asking questions like what are 6 traits that you like most in people, what do you think of yourself, what is most important to you...etc. One of her students responds to the question saying, "I am not ready for that question yet," and then Azar says, "They are not ready-yet" (Nafisi 57). This quote interests me because it has a little bit of foreshadowing, saying that they aren't ready for what (I) have in store for them. Also, something that this book reminds me of is the things that we learn about in AP World. We learned that women's roles are very minor in the earliest of times, and once it seemed like we as a world got over that and started to see women somewhat as equal, people invade Tehran and make the women wear headdresses, and make them oblige to all of these unfair customs. I am very grateful for where I live today.

2 comments:

Sara A.'s EE10 Blog said...

Emily, thats to bad that your book is boring. That is also weird that there is no central conflict. Basically all books always have some sort of conflict so I can totally see where you come from when you say nothing is happening. I like that you connected your book to what your doing in AP World. It really shows that even though you're reading about something that happened in the past, you can find a way to connect it to present times.

Emily Fu. said...

I'm surprised by the student's answer to the question. It seems like such an innocent question, the type they made you do in Girl Scouts when you were little (mabye you weren't in Girl Scouts, but they made you do a lot of those). And yet the student says that they're not ready. In some ways, it kind of plays into the stereotypes that we know aren't really true and don't want to believe in-- but we judge based on anyway (the one that comes to mind says that the people in the Middle East are cautious when it comes to progression).